Measurement Laboratory for radiation and environmental monitoring is a part of Ukratominstruments Corporation. The laboratory is certified in accordance with the Law of Ukraine «On metrology and metrological activity», meets the criteria for certification in the state metrological system and conducts activities under the laws of Ukraine.
Measurement Laboratory for radiation and environmental monitoring of Ukratominstruments Corporation performs the following tasks:
- Identification of radionuclide composition and specific activity of natural radionuclides of uranium-thorium series and artificial radionuclides in the environment via gamma-spectrometric analysis;
- Measurement of the specific activity of cesium-137 and strontium-90 in food via gamma- and beta-spectrometric analysis;
- Measurement of radionuclide composition and specific activity of natural and artificial radionuclides in water samples via y-spectrometric analysis;
- Measurement of the effective equivalent absorbed dose of external gamma radiation;
- Measurement of fixed and non-fixed surface contamination by alpha- and beta-emitting radionuclides;
- Radiometric survey of vehicles;
- Measurement of the equivalent equilibrium volume activity of radon-222 in the indoor air;
- Measurement of external and internal exposure on human;
- Measurement of the total concentration of dust in mines, buildings and sites for industrial and non-industrial purposes;
- Determination of direction and velocity of the air in mines, buildings and sites for industrial and non-industrial purposes.
Radiation and Environmental Control in Mines of «EVRAZ Sukha Balka»
In 2012, Ukratominstruments Corporation performed works on radio-ecological monitoring in the mines of «EVRAZ Sukha Balka» in terms of measurement in the mine atmosphere of the concentration (volumetric activity) of radon in form of aerosols; humidity, air temperature, air pressure, dust in the air of working areas and gamma-radiation intensity.
Experts of the Corporation have made measurements at 6 mine levels in the mines «n. a. Frunze» and «Yubileynaya». The total number of measurements of the parameters of mine atmosphere was more than 6300.
Radiation and environmental monitoring of residential and non-residential buildings
Occurrence of natural radionuclides in the residential building materials determines the creation of conditions for formation of additional radiation dose for the population.
Nevertheless, the natural emanation of gaseous decomposition products of natural radionuclides of the uranium series may also affect the formation of effective radiation dose for human.
Educational institutions of Dneprodzerzhinsk
In November 2012, according to the agreement between the Department of Environmental Protection of Dneprodzerzhinsk city council and Ukratominstruments Corporation, a survey of the premises of public institutions of Dneprodzerzhinsk city, secondary school №35 and kindergarten №36 for the presence of radon-222 in the air and the level of gamma background was conducted.
At the secondary school №35, the measurement of equivalent dose rate (EDR) of y-radiation was performed at 56 control points (three measurements at each point), and the measurements of the volumetric activity (VA) of radon-222 were conducted at 56 control points.
At preschool general education institution (kindergarten) №36, the measurement of EDR of y-radiation was performed at 92 control points (three measurements at each point), and the measurement of VA of radon-222 was conducted at 148 control points.
At the end of 2012, the measurement of the equivalent dose rate (EDR) of y-radiation in 4 sections of the house put into service was conducted.
Based on the requirements of the regulatory documents, the radiation control is a part of quality control of construction products, reliability requirements of buildings and structures during the operation and requirements for engineering surveys for construction.
In 4 sections of the house, the measurements of EDR of y-radiation were conducted at 4532 control points (three measurements at each point).